TikTok is a video-sharing social networking service that is used to create short video clips. It is owned by “ByteDance” a Chinese company of Zhang Yiming founded in 2012. TikTok is developed to create short videos like short dance, lip-sync, comedy, and other talent videos.
For the China market, “ByteDance” first launched Douyin (Chinese: 抖音; Dǒuyīn) in September2016.
TikTok is the best social media platform that provides the function for creating, sharing, and discovering short music videos, think Karaoke for the digital age. It was a formerly musical.ly app. This musical.ly app was used by young people as an outlet to express their capabilities and express themselves through singing, dancing, comedy, and lip-syncing. Now, this app is named TikTok, complete with a new logo and has all of the same features as musical.ly. It allows the users to create videos recorded in 15 seconds or less and share them across a community.
Douyinwas launched by ByteDance in China in September 2016 under the name A.me and its rebranding as Douyin in December 2016.it was developed in 200 days and after the launch, it has 100 million users.
TikTok was launched in September 2017 in the international market.
TikTok app ranked No. 1 among free app downloads on app stores On 23 January 2018 in Thailand and other many countries.
On 9 November 2017, ByteDance which is TikTok’s parent company, spent up to $1 billion to purchase “musical.ly” and its startup based in Shanghai with an office in Santa Monica, California.
On 2 August 2018, TikTok merged with musical.ly to create a larger video community, with existing accounts and data consolidated into one app, keeping the title TikTok.
In 2018, TikTok was available in over 150 markets and different 75 languages. In the first half of 2018, it was downloaded more than 104 million times on Apple’s app store.
It also surpassed other social media platforms like Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram to become the world’s maximum downloaded ios app.
TikTok has made with the most popular elements of both apps with a feed that highlights the users’ community. By the addition of the “For You” section feed, it provides the best viewer performance by personalized video recommendations based on viewing preferences.
TikTok also introduces new upcoming features for best performance that are:
Reaction: This feature allows users to react to friends’ videos directly from the phone.
Filters: Enhanced creative tools like interactive gesture filters unlock features such as funhouse mirror camera effects
One of the best features is VR-type filters that can be activated just by blinking
Green screen-like background effects
- It allows the users to create a short video with the best feature music in the background and the user can speed up or slowed down, or edited their video with a filter.
- To create the best videos users can choose background music from a wide variety of music genres and edit with a filter, also record a 15-second video with speed adjustments before uploading it.
- It also provides a platform to create short lip-sync videos to popular songs.
- A “react” feature allows users to film their reactions to a specific video.
- A “duet” feature allows users to film a video aside from another video.
- The app allows users to set their accounts and content as “private”. This feature provides privacy for the user’s personal data. With this private content remains visible to TikTok only, but is blocked from TikTok users whom the account holder has not authorized to view their content.
- People can choose only friends or any other user to interact with them through the app via comments, messages, or “react” or “duet” videos.
- “For You” feature in feed provides the activity-based recommended videos.
- As TikTok policy, “For You” is only for the user if they are 16 or over. The user under 16 will not show up “For You” page, sound page, or under any hashtags.
- User can enjoy the saved section to add their desired content and this section is visible only for user profile.
Users and Age Restriction
After the launching of TikTok in September 2016, it acquired about 800 million active users in 3 years.
There is no specific age restriction but it has a minimum user age of 13 years old. In the Ireland Digital Age of Consent has set 16 years. There is some privacy that users under 16 are unable to reach “For You” feed.
How Anyone Creates Account
Users can download and install the latest version of TikTok from their respective app store and can sign up using their social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, or either sign up with their email.
How it works
When the user signs up on it then he can able to share his content on it and follow the other and do likes and comments on other videos. And teen can send their favorite emoji to their favorite singer or actors on TikTok.
User can select their desired video then record themselves miming along to the music. As the user can record his video first then adjust the song on it. App has other more amazing feature like there is the option to shoot in slow motion, time-lapse, filters, fast forward and amazing effects or also even play the song backward, etc. when one user makes his desired video then he can post it to his followers and also share on other social networks like Messenger and WhatsApp, etc.